Hardwood Classic Today: None, Happy Shark Week!
Time/TV: 9 p.m./Discovery Channel
1) Otis Smith would usually be completing a free agent class at this point in the offseason. With the lockout a month old now, Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel reports Smith is having a hard time filling the void since he cannot quite do his job with the Magic.
2) Magic second round draft pick DeAndre Liggins tells John Clay of the (Lexington) Herald-Leader that he is exploring his options for playing in Europe for the upcoming season.
3) Monday the NBA Players Association and the owners will meet in New York for their first bargaining session since the lockout began. Don't expect anything to get solved, but Ken Berger of CBS Sports writes that the two sides' legal strategies will be revealed and we could find out how long this lockout might last. Derek Fisher says the players are willing to continue to compromise on basketball-related revenue if the owners back off their hard cap.
4) Mike Prada of SBNation ranks the NBA general managers. Smith is in the middle third at No. 19. Sounds about right.
5) DeAndre Liggins tells John Clay of the Herald-Leader that Daniel Orton was showing him the ropes when he came to Orlando to work out before the lockout.
6) Adonal Foyle is on the other side of this labor dispute (he used to be an officer for the union), so to speak. But he is spending his summer with Basketball Without Borders, helping children and running basketball clinics in Brazil.