New York City, N.Y.
1) Marc Stein and Chad Ford of ESPN report that the Nets are preparing to make an offer to the Magic for Dwight Howard. The deal would include acquiring Brook Lopez and sending out Hedo Turkoglu. Although some reports say the Nets have not talked to the Magic in a year.
2) If this is your first time on the Internet today, you probably have not heard all the rumors circling NBA teams. The reason? The league is beginning to lift restrictions on teams. Today, general managers can begin contacting each other and talking to agents although they cannot yet execute any moves. In an important step to end the lockout, Zach Lowe of The Point Forward reports the players and owners have settled their lawsuits, pending the reformation of the union.
3) Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless got into a heated debate on First Take on ESPN2 about whether Dwight Howard is going or staying. The vote is decidedly split.
4) It is not clear what advantages the new collective bargaining agreement actually will give small market teams to keep their stars. Sean Deveney of Sporting News details the situation three smaller markets, New Orleans, Orlando and New Jersey, can do to get the most out of their star players. KnickerBlogger explores all of Chris Paul's options.
5) Brian Serra of Howard the Dunk wonders whether the amnesty clause will actually help the Magic.
6) Brian Schmitz of the Orlando Sentinel wonders how Dwight Howard will handle the day-to-day pressure and questioning that comes with his impending free agency.
7) Brendan Sonnone of examiner.com takes a look at the things the Magic need to do as the season approaches. Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel notes the Magic have some work to do to have a successful free agency.
8) The Knicks are targeting Chris Paul, no doubt about that. But Paul continues to say his heart is in New Orleans.
9) Even though players are allowed back into team facilities on Thursday, they still are not allowed to have any contact with coaches or team personnel. J.J. Redick thinks that is a little ridiculous.
10) Thinking of an NBA job? Now might be the time to apply, according to Henry Abbot of TrueHoop.
12) With free agency starting, the Knicks have dived in inquiring about Caron Butler and Shawne Williams in this early stage, Seth of Posting and Toasting writes.